Having fine, thin hair can present styling challenges. Without much density or volume, it can be difficult to achieve full, lush locks. The good news is there are tips and tricks to make the most of your fine hair texture.
We’ll discuss the best practices for washing, cutting, styling and using products to boost your hair’s body and fullness. With the right techniques, you can enjoy beautiful, voluminous styles.
Washing Tips for Fine Hair
When it comes to washing fine strands, less is often more. Too much cleansing can strip hair of its natural oils, exacerbating limpness.
- Wash hair just 2-3 times per week at most. Overwashing causes unnecessary volume loss.
- Alternate between regular shampoo and a cleansing conditioner or co-wash. This provides a gentle cleanse.
- Use lukewarm rather than hot water, as heat can damage delicate strands.
- When shampooing, focus on the scalp and crown area rather than lengths.
- Rinse with cool water to help close the cuticle and add shine.
Choosing the Right Haircut
An optimal haircut is key to making fine hair appear fuller. Ask your stylist for lots of texturizing layers cut to encourage volume.
- Long layers around the face help thin hair hold a style.
- Choppy ends add movement and fullness. Avoid blunt cuts.
- Face-framing layers are flattering for those with oval and round face shapes.
- Keep length above the shoulders. Fine hair drags down when too long.
- Side-swept bangs can camouflage a sparse hairline.
Using the Right Products for Maximum Volume
Using the right styling products is crucial for boosting fine hair’s body and making it feel thicker.
- After shampooing, apply a volumizing conditioner focusing on the mid-lengths and ends.
- Opt for mousse, volumizing spray, or root-lifting foam instead of heavy creams. Concentrate products at the crown.
- Add texture and grip with a sea salt spray. Scrunch into damp hair.
- If heat styling, use a blow dry lotion before drying hair with a round brush.
- Finish with an airy texture spray or dry shampoo for added lift at the roots
Styling & Drying for Fullness
Certain styling techniques can also help you achieve maximum volume.
- Flip hair upside down and blow dry while scrunching at the roots to build volume.
- When air drying, scrunch in product with your head flipped upside down.
- Create a tousled body and texture with heatless overnight waves. Braid damp hair into pigtail braids.
- Backcomb or tease sections of hair at the crown gently before smoothing over the top.
- Set hair in velcro rollers for boosted volume at the base when heat styling.
Give Limp Hair a Boost at Colair
If you feel your at-home regimen isn’t providing the volume you desire, the styling experts at Colair can help. We specialize in cutting and styling fine hair in a way that maximizes fullness and movement.
Our other services to add body include:
- Hair thickening treatments like Smartbond and Olaplex
- Volumizing hair extensions like tape-ins or halo extensions
- Keratin smoothing treatments to help hold a style
- Cleansing and scalp massages
Call 480-912-5325 today to schedule an appointment where our talented stylists will help you decide what kind of cut, style, and products are best for you.
We look forward to helping you achieve gorgeous, voluminous locks.