Acne is pesky enough during a breakout – the last thing you need is to live with scarring after it’s gone.
Acne scarring occurs in 95% of all people with acne, which is one of the most common skin disorders in the U.S. According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, acne affects up to 50 million Americans. And although it’s often thought of as a youth and adolescent problem, the incidence of acne in adults is increasing.
While many acne scars can fade within six months to a year, some acne scars can last a lifetime, impacting self-esteem, confidence and emotional well-being. Luckily, laser treatment for acne scars like that offered by Colair Beauty Lounge & Med Spa is an effective way to rid your skin of unwanted scarring and texture issues such as pitting and pocking.
Pros and Cons of Laser Treatment for Acne Scars
Laser acne treatment uses a fractional 1540 laser to promote collagen production underneath the skin’s surface.
Colair’s laser treatments for acne scars are considered safe for all skin types and offer a wide range of benefits with minimal downsides.
Pros of Laser Acne Treatment
- Decreases purple and red scars
- The treatment requires very little recovery time, if any.
- The procedure improves your skin’s texture and pigmentation.
- Stimulates collagen
Cons of Laser Acne Treatment
- More than one treatment is typically needed to achieve the best results.
- It is currently not covered by insurance.
- You may experience mild redness after your treatment, but that should fade within a few hours.
While laser treatment for acne scars is effective,, the level of effectiveness will depend on factors like:
- The number of times you receive the treatment
- The frequency of your appointments
- The characteristics of your scars, including location and size
- Whether you have active acne
What to Expect
At Colair Beauty Lounge & Med Spa, we use devices like the award-winning ClearLift treatment by Alma, which is a 1064 YAG device. This technology works through the following steps.
- It delivers intense nanosecond light pulses to targeted areas of your skin.
- The light pulses heat the deeper layers of your skin – without damaging the top layer – to stimulate collagen and break apart unwanted pigmentation.
- The growth of new collagen is stimulated, which helps you grow new, stronger skin cells to replace scarred tissue
- As a result pores, color, wrinkles, fine lines, and collagen are all improved.
The actual device and type of laser used will vary based on your skin type and the area you’re having treated.
This skin resurfacing technique is multifunctional and can also be used to treat concerns like:
- Pore size
- Fine lines
- Acne pitting and pocking
- Age spots
- Surgical Scars
Because everyone’s skin is different and dependent on the laser used, the treatments can be minimal to no pain, or may feel like a rubber band snapping.
When to Expect Results
Laser acne treatments are quick, but it can take a few weeks before you’ll begin to see results as your skin heals naturally. You can expect to see positive changes after about four weeks of treatments.
Your laser specialist at Colair will likely recommend follow-up visits to evaluate your progress and ensure you achieve the best results.
Side Effects Clients May Notice
As with most skin treatments, the potential side effects of laser treatment for acne scars will depend on each individual receiving the treatment and their skin’s sensitivity level. Please do not wear any lotions or makeup for the first 48 hours after your procedure.
Side effects are typically mild and fade within one day. You may notice:
- Redness near the treatment area
- A slight stinging or zapping sensation from the laser during the procedure
- Swelling around the treatment area for several days
- Slight pain at the treatment site
- Skin may feel like sand paper for a few weeks
It’s important to make sure your treatment is being performed by a highly trained professional who has the proper credentials to safely conduct laser skin treatments. Your provider should have a medical background and should ask questions about the following prior to scheduling your treatment:
- Your medical history
- Current health conditions
- Any medications or supplements you are taking
Certain medications and health conditions can interfere with laser skin treatment, so having a medical expert’s review prior to your procedure will ensure a safe and smooth experience.
Colair May Recommend Supplemental Skincare
Following your laser treatment at Colair, our laser professional may recommend additional skincare products to use while your skin recovers. These aftercare recommendations are based on each individual’s concerns, treatment site and desired results.
Regardless of your personalized treatment plan, you should maintain a daily or nightly cleansing routine to keep your skin clean after your procedure. We recommend using moisturizer and sunscreen during the day to help protect your skin for proper healing.
Best Ways to Prepare for Your Laser Treatment
The purpose of laser treatments is to achieve the best results possible for clearer, smoother skin. With this in mind, here are a few things you can do prior to your treatment to help make it as effective as possible:
- No sun exposure, self tanner, or spray tans on the areas being treated.
- No smoking
- Don’t plan another facial skin treatment that could interfere with the laser treatment process
Your provider will give you any pertinent advice prior to your visit based on your unique circumstances, which could include guidance on medications. Additionally, our certified laser technician will sit with you during your free consultation to make sure that this will be the best treatment for you.
Treat Yourself to Laser Acne Treatment at Colair Beauty Lounge & Med Spa
Laser treatments are a safe and effective nonsurgical treatment option to get the smooth skin of your dreams. When it comes to high-quality skin resurfacing, Colair offers a variety of laser treatments in Gilbert to help you achieve your skincare goals.
Find out if laser acne treatment is right for you and get your questions answered. Book your free consultation now.